Chasing the Ghosts of Forty-Niners
February 2000 by Associated PressPlodding in the footsteps of the forty-niners across the sun-baked Nevada desert, I feel the ghost of a man named Israel Lord tap me on the shoulder.
• Forest Service Roadless Initiave comment period is about to close
• Endangered Species Decision Delayed
• 43 CFR Part 3800—Mining Claims Under the General Mining Laws
• Inter-department letter, Forest Supervisor to Regional Forester seeks assistance in segregating a significant area of the San Bernardino National Forest from mineral entry.
• Conservation and Reinvestment Act (CARA) stopped in Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee
• Forest Service meetings on Roadless Initiative have ended and the comment period closed December 20, but we have been advised that the public will have another opportunity for input.
• On November 8, the BLM held a hearing in Placerville, California, regarding withdrawal of 3,368.85 acres of public land along the South Fork of the American River.
The Livengood (pronounced with a long “i” as in alive) gold stampede was the last of the great Alaska Gold Rush. The string of gold rushes began in 1886 with the Fortymile gold strike, and ten years later with the large Yukon Klondike goldfields discovery.
• Just because it looks American, doesn’t mean it is…
• Attempted hacking by Homeland Security?
• 37% more than they counted on…
• The high price of wind power
Because these crevices catch and hold gold so well, it's worthwhile to learn how they form, which ones are good for catching gold and which ones are not.
The Bawl Mill • Clinton Declares Three More National Monuments • McCain Derides Clinton Forest Policy • Foreigners Lure Mining Partners • Pacific Island Gov'ts Focus on Undersea Mining • Options Narrowed for Managing Chugach National Forest • Company Notes • Diamond Fever • Gold in Jasperoid • Underground Geologic Mapping • New Quarry Regulations in West Virginia • Ash Fork Calm After Explosives Theft • Picks & Pans: Mining in Ghana • Little Rocky Mountains, Montana • Collector Reaches New Lows to Find Bottles • Chinese Camp, California and the Tong War of 1856 • Millie's Tailings • Visionaries, Scoundrels, and Gamblers • Executive Defends Special Mill Site Exemption • Washoe County Balks at Black Rock Desert Plan • State's Only Gold Mine Processes Last Precious Ore • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices • Looking Back