Tucson Mountain Chaos
January 2005 by Edgar B. Heylmun, PhDThe Tucson Mountains are immediately west of Tucson, in southern Arizona, and include residential areas of the city. The highest peak, Wasson (Amole) Peak, reaches 4,687 feet. It is part of the great Basin-Range physiographic province, characterized by fault-block mountain ranges separated by broad desert valleys.
• "...just about more than I can stand."
• "I hope you can answer my number one question..."
• "...I still go out and mine a little at my old stompin' grounds in Siskiyou County..."
• "...New Prospecting Club in the Southeast."
• "...9 ounces...in two weeks."
• "...It's no secret..."
Gold—a very elusive, heavy, yellow, metallic element—is coveted by man and not easily given up by Mother Nature. This is a story of a group of friends—old, new, and some I hadn’t met before this trip. We embarked on a journey in search of that yellow metal.
• BLM Proposes suspension of 3809 regulation changes
• Monuments addressed by new administration
• Progress made on Clinton's Roadless Rule
• Changes at USFS
• Federal agencies pull back salmon biological opinion
Glencore International AG demanded compensation from Bolivia’s government for nationalizing a tin smelter owned by the Swiss mining company.
• Re: "Designation of Critical Habitat Provides Little Additional Protection to Species"
• Re: "Fair and Balanced? If You Have the Cash"
• Re: "The Joy of Prospecting"
• Re: "Texas Hill Country Gold"
How high can gold go? How best to hold it? Questions on gold investment answered.
The Bawl Mill • Convention Report • Interview with Congressman Gibbons on Mining Law Reform • The Art of Finding Coarse Gold Part II—Pocket Hunting for Residual Placers • Gold Canyon Resources Targets Gallium • Picks & Pans: Auburn Ravine Gold • Suit Filed to Stop Mining in Northern California • Niobium and Tantalum • The Iola Mine Group, Montgomery County, North Carolina • Effectively Using a Detector and Drywasher for Placer Gold • Mining Companies Use Conservative Valuations • Company Notes • Accident at Robinson Mine Leaves Two Dead • Looking Back • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices