Legislative and Regulatory Update
September 2011 by Scott Harn• Salazar pushes wilderness
• California Governor signs AB 120
First, the US Forest Service does not have any authority to enforce or administer any “claim jumping” laws, period.
This article may not be as interesting as someone describing a big nugget find in Australia...but right now the biggest obstacle to mining is our government.
- Oregon miners petition US Supreme Court in Bohmker v. Oregon
- Wheeler receives hearing as EPA administrator
• Positive bill passes House
• Anti-mining bill dies in Washington State
As prospectors, we cannot just roll over and continue to ignore the shift in public land management from multiple use to national preserve.
• BLM proposed budget asks for funds for mining restrictions
• Oregon bill 838
• California suction gold dredging update
- Administration issues proposals to fix mining access and permitting
- Online “webinar” and request for comments for proposed Forest Service NEPA revisions
The Bawl Mill • Our Readers Say • Ask The Experts - Could I stake out a 20-acre claim with a waterway running through it just as I would a lode claim? • Ask The Experts - Do I have any grandfathered rights that post FLPMA claim holders do not have? • Q&A With Detector Designer Dave Johnson • Dredging Tips From The Golden Rogue • Understanding and Prospecting Benches • Gold in the Slate Creek Basin • Deductions: Get 'Em While You Can • Endurance Is Golden • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes & Mineral and Metal Prices • The Preacher of Sheeps**t Flats