SB 838 and the Salem Witch Hunt
December 2015 by Tom KitcharIn every sense, this was a witch hunt with a preconceived agenda to heavily restrict or outright prohibit most small-scale mining in Oregon.
Many miners have failed to exercise their rights by using the power of their Mining Districts and laws that are already on the books, such as 43 CFR 9712.1, which states…
• "Not a pollutant"
• Thank you Senator Sessions
• California suction dredging
• EPA uses secret email accounts
The $800 million project will provide 300 jobs during production. It will be the only US mine where nickel is the primary targeted mineral, with about 360 million pounds to be extracted.
• Increase in claim fees
• Impact of recent elections
• Current suction gold dredging status in California
• Parks in Southern California
• BLM to raise fees again
• Roadless Rule stands
• Suit filed over dredging restrictions in Washington State
• NWMA lends support
• California suction gold dredging lawsuits progressing
• Judge orders reconsideration of “bi-state” sage grouse population in California and Nevada
• Environmental groups attempt to reinstate hard rock rule
We spent our evening at some informal get-togethers at two private residences in the DC area, which provided the opportunity to talk with staff members from Congress, other agencies, and a few consultants working on public land issues. We found common ground with many of them, and found a strong ally in a former Congressman turned consultant who agreed that Mining Districts provide the smartest legal route...
The Bawl Mill • Our Readers Say • Ask The Experts • Small-Scale Hard Rock Production • Researching Mineralized Areas • MMAC & PLP Update • VLF Detector Operating Modes • Using Geologic Maps • Canadian Company Recovers 1,111-Carat Diamond • Lost Sally's Gold • Time to File Claims in Southern California • Colorado Disputes Key Part of EPA Mine Report • Picking Our Way Through Bedrock • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices • Melman on Gold & Silver