The Joy of Prospecting
February 2004 by Chris RalphI have been prospecting and mining for gold, both as a hobby and as an occupation, for nearly 30 years. From the deep green forests to the rolling sagebrush hills, few people see as much of America’s wide-open spaces as I do.
• Interior appropriations
• New bull trout plan released
• Comments needed
• Change is coming at Interior
• Interior Department seeking public comment regarding minerals
• Let's see what goes on behind closed doors
• Nothing but the best, make that most expensive, for the US
• No exception for taxpayers
• Speaking of waste...
• Trimming the fat
• Uncle Sam needs you...to snitch!
While the bullion value of the nugget is already substantial, the size and rarity of the Ausrox Nugget combine to make its worth invaluable in the collector market.
Excerpts from California Mining Journal, our original title, published 50 years ago this month.
• Congress heading into summer recess
• Maintenance fees due!
The Bawl Mill • Our Readers Say • Buying or Investing in Mineral Properties • Company Notes • Picks & Pans: Rattlesnakes in a Gold Camp • Old-Time Mining Geology Books • Ask the Experts: Recommended Reading—Part I • The Tangential Impulse Water Wheel in California Gold Mining History—Part I • Consider Adding Gold to Your Portfolio • US Files Charges Against Gold Refiner • Gold in Australia • Gold in Rotten Rock • Restoring the Rule of Law to US Mining • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices