June 2017 by Scott Harn
In May 2017, the district participated in a meeting with representatives from several state and federal agencies where they educated agency officials about the authority of Mining Districts, Mining Law and miner’s rights.
In the meeting, we presented Ms. Skalski with the various court cases from the 9th Circuit Court on these settled law cases and she was mortified.
• Court says ESA does not apply in some cases
• Comments needed for proposed critical habitat in several Western states
• EPA still trying to rewrite the Clean Water Act
• Enough already!
• Now is the time to act
- House appropriations bills introduced
- Two Minnesota hardrock mining leases reinstated
- Equal Access to Justice Act
- PLF files petition with US Supreme Court on behalf of Oregon miners
- Land and Water Conservation Fund abuse by Forest Service
- Army asks for REE proposals
Bottom line for you fellow miners: file your claims now in these areas or risk being forever locked out!
All 28 groups listed agree that Section 402 of the Clean Water Act does not apply and no dredge miner should be asking a state or federal agency for such a permit.
The Bawl Mill • Ask The Experts: What indicator rocks should I be looking for in northern Nevada? • Ask The Experts: What to do with scheelite • Ask The Experts: Small-scale drilling • Quartzsite Gives Up Some Big Gold • Prospecting After Winter Storms • How to Stake Your Own Claim—Researching Mining Claims • The Birthday Nugget Patch • The Goldfield Mining District, Nevada—Part I • Volume is the Key to Success • Getting Started • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices