December 1999 by StaffExcerpts from California Mining Journal, our original title, published 50 years ago this month.
The Northern Territory has about six hundred proven gold deposits and has produced nearly 12 million ounces with a further 15 million ounces to be recovered. While the early hard rock miners were eventually blocked by water flows...
• Rock Creek mine approved again: environmentalists file another lawsuit
• Great Basin Mine Watch losing appeal
• Roadless Rule declared illegal again by Federal Court
• Off-highway vehicle restrictions in North and South Dakota and Montana
• Comments needed for new off-road emission and fuel standards
• California administration moves to block mining; governor faces recall
• A few pending bills...
• Obama’s parting shots
• California suction dredging
• Oregon follows California’s lead
• Lawsuit coming; bill introduced to stop mining in Washington State
• President Trump halts new federal regulations
There are several common ways that new mineral crystals form and grow. Perhaps the simplest is when minerals form through the cooling of molten rock and the atoms bond together into mineral crystals.
After he excavates the ore down to bedrock, he goes over the bedrock with a metal detector to ensure he didn't leave any gold behind before he backfills the area.
Tiffany & Co. plans to open its first diamond cutting and sorting plant early this year in conjunction with its investment in a diamond mine in Canada’s Northwest Territories.
The Bawl Mill • Over the Divide • Our Readers Say • Desert Phone Trashed • ICMJ Elected Prospecting Magazine of 1999 • Advertising Manager Leaving ICMJ • Guest Editorial—California "Special" Dredge Permits in Jeopardy • The Search Continues • Guest Editorial: U.S. Government—Like Nobody's Business • Circulation and Collections Manager Leaving ICMJ • Company Notes • House Chair Requests Records on Forest Decision • BLM Wants to Withdraw South Pass Public Land • Silverton Preserving Lofty Symbol of Mining Era • Hijackers Make Off With 660 Pounds of Gold • Prospecting With a Magnetometer • 1999 Tables of Content • Lighting the Way Underground 1860-1940s • Millie's Tailings • Picks & Pans: Crevicing & Sniping for Placer Gold • Gold in Sonora • Forest Service Boss Quits in Bull Trout Flap • Melman on Gold & Silver • European Gold Miners Seek Clarification Letter • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices • Squeezing Diamond Into Graphite