Legislative and Regulatory Update
April 2015 by Scott Harn
- require agencies to choose the least costly option when considering regulations.
- restrict agencies’ use of interim regulations without public comment and provide for a quick judicial review if used.
- require hearings to review the accuracy of data for the most costly regulations.
Within these districts, some of the roads and trails have been reopened for access, critical habitat designations have been scaled back, and a few Mining Districts were completely removed from proposed withdrawals.
• State attorneys claim the Court of Appeals wrongly relied on South Dakota Mining Association v. Lawrence County regarding federal preemption...
Since 2005, a group representing a handful of Oregon and Washington mining organizations, centered around the Eastern Oregon Mining Association (EOMA) and the Waldo Mining District (WMD), have been actively fighting the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) over their then new “700PM Suction Dredge Mining Permit.”
• Pruitt out at EPA
• NDAA still under negotiation
• AMRA’s California mining bill fails to reach floor vote
• Positive bill passes House
• Anti-mining bill dies in Washington State
- Administration issues proposals to fix mining access and permitting
- Online “webinar” and request for comments for proposed Forest Service NEPA revisions
This ruling comes at an opportune time, just as suction dredge miners are dealing with new proposed regulations in several western states. Be sure to cite this case when you provide comments on the regulations!
The Bawl Mill • Our Readers Say • Ask The Experts • Ask The Experts • Exploring Snakehead • One of the Richest Beaches Ever Mined • Prospecting for Gold in Baja California • What's All This Talk About Mining Districts? • The Power of Mining Districts • What is a Mining Right? • The Gold, Silver and Base Metal Mines of Eureka, Nevada • Jadeite in California • Tips for Detecting Nugget Patches • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices • State Lends Help to County in Nevada Road Fight • Melman on Gold & Silver • Utah Approves funds to Fight Feds