Legislative and Regulatory Update
March 2012 by Scott Harn• California suction dredging regulations
• Draft Coho recovery plan for Southern Oregon, Northern California
Met by jeers and cheers from more than 1,000 people, US Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA) made another pitch to create three new national monuments in the deserts of southern California recently.
- Property rights advocate in running for top BLM spot
- “Draining the swamp” at Interior
We all know that it was never Congress’ intent to regulate gold panners and other individual mine operators through MSHA. In fact, I believe the concept of owner-operated mines with no employees was so strange a concept to the lawmakers that they never even thought there would be a need for such an exemption.
A two-pronged approach is necessary to restore suction dredging; federal preemption needs to be established as addressed above via petition; and clarification from the EPA is needed to establish that no Section 402 permit is necessary when there is no “addition” of a pollutant.
• Forest Service to revisit 228 regulations
• WOTUS Executive Order suspended
• Idaho maintains control
• Enough wilderness already
• Restraining the EPA
• Republicans on the attack
• DOI requests hard rock royalty
• New Forest Service plans
• Bill supporting small miners
• New mercury emission regs
• Latest info on California suction dredging
- Zinke leaving office
- Property rights triumph over critical habitat says Supreme Court
- Water of the United States
The Bawl Mill • Ask the Experts: Set up a small portable operation or send the ore to a custom mill? • Ask the Experts: Who manufactures the diagonal vibrating table? • Ask the Experts: Do "corners" need to be in place on the ground for a claim to be valid? • Ask the Experts: Tantalite in an African nation -- is it worth pursuing? • Following Clues to a Hidden Gold Deposit • How to Melt Your Own Gold • Judge Tosses Lawsuit Against Tucson-Area Mine • Salted Mining Properties—How to Properly Evaluate a Claim • Fine Gold Panning Without Using Mercury • Australia Produces World's Largest Gold Coin • Fells Flat Gold • Colorado Considers Gold & Silver Currency • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices