Legislative and Regulatory Update
December 2011 by Scott Harn• Refunds coming to Nevada claimholders
• More wilderness proposed
• Forest Service planning rule
• Pendley nomination withdrawn but will remain BLM director for now
• Comments needed for Midas Gold project in Idaho
• Hearing date moved up for preliminary injunction for California suction dredging
• Anti-mining bills in Oregon lead to recall effort
State regulators imposed a record $11 million fine on the operators of a gold mine in the Sierra foothills east of Sacramento.
Republicans and industry representatives have criticized the administration’s eleventh-hour actions to limit development and promised to seek their reversal once Obama leaves office.
The Bawl Mill • Our Readers Say • Ask the Experts—Looking up mining claims on the Internet • Ask the Experts—Access to mining claim across private land • Ask the Experts—Best way to identify calaverite and sylvanite • WSGS Releases New Geologic Maps • Prospecting on the North Yuba • Yesterday's Gold—Today's Mine • Where to Find Gold in Indiana • Prospecting Australia—Part III Anatomy of a Nugget Patch in Western Australia • Nevada Miners: Check Your Claim Markers • Managers at Fault for Two Deaths at Meikle Mine • Cold Water Gold • River Dredging vs. Creek Dredging—Part I • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices