We’re Still Thinking About It
April 2018 by Greg Walcher
We have learned over the years, of course, that “previous development,” “roadless,” and “local support,” are in the mind of the beholder.
• BLM proposed budget asks for funds for mining restrictions
• Oregon bill 838
• California suction gold dredging update
All of which brings us back to the question of why we rely so heavily on China in the first place. America’s economy is heavily dependent upon energy and telecommunications, but does that require Chinese manufacturing? Clearly not.
- EPA declines to impose additional regulations and financial requirements on hardrock miners
- “Baffling” ruling in suction gold dredging court case
• Judge orders reconsideration of “bi-state” sage grouse population in California and Nevada
• Environmental groups attempt to reinstate hard rock rule
• California dredging update
• Favorable bills in Congress
We spent our evening at some informal get-togethers at two private residences in the DC area, which provided the opportunity to talk with staff members from Congress, other agencies, and a few consultants working on public land issues. We found common ground with many of them, and found a strong ally in a former Congressman turned consultant who agreed that Mining Districts provide the smartest legal route...
• Oregon's attack on suction gold dredging
• New DOI Director nominated
• More Forest Service restrictions in the works
• California suction gold dredging
The Bawl Mill • Legislative and Regulatory Update • Ask The Experts - What Do I Look For and How Do I Sample? • Ask The Experts - Prospecting Around Graeagle • Hunting Down Paystreaks • Deep Nuggets From The Strange Little Patch • Springtime Sampling In The High Desert • How to Evaluate Mineral Claims—What to Know Before You Buy • Dredging Safety: Don't Ignore The Warning Signs • Russian Plane Spills 3 Tons of Gold on Runway • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices