April 2012 by Chris RalphWe all know that it was never Congress’ intent to regulate gold panners and other individual mine operators through MSHA. In fact, I believe the concept of owner-operated mines with no employees was so strange a concept to the lawmakers that they never even thought there would be a need for such an exemption.
• IBLA rules against miner for "late" filing
• Wyoming appeals roadless decision
• Mercury reduction program slated for California
• Oregon wilderness
• Oregon miner prevails in lawsuit against Forest Service and District Ranger
• Canada pulls out of Kyoto Climate Treaty
SB 765...would tax suction gold dredgers by charging a $50 annual fee for in-state dredgers and a whopping $2,500 fee for out-of-state dredgers for each county where the miner intends to dredge.
I hope this case inspires some of you. It shows that miners can and do succeed when they are persistent and well-prepared, even when representing themselves against state and federal attorneys in a court of law.
• No Adventure Pass needed
• Supreme Court of Canada rules on aboriginal title claims
• No agreement reached in suction gold dredge permitting case
- Property rights advocate in running for top BLM spot
- “Draining the swamp” at Interior
The current administration is receptive; we believe the time is ripe to push for a return to reasonable regulations and to restore mining to a priority for public lands as long as some new crisis doesn’t take precedent.
...we packed up our two dredges and headed for our claim about an hour away on the South Fork of the Clearwater to dredge openly in opposition to the EPA.
The Bawl Mill • Ask the Experts • Ask the Experts • Prospecting Homonyms • Revisiting an Old Mine in Idaho Reaps Rewards • Following Clues to a Lost Gold Deposit—The Northern Extension of the Cedarberg • Bering Sea Gold—Part I • Safety With a Tax Deduction • Who Says You Have to Own a Claim to Find Gold? • US Policies Holding Back Arizona • Judge Gives OK to Nevada Mining Tax Initiative • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices