Stillwater At Half Speed
January 2009 by Associated PressStillwater Mining Company’s East Boulder platinum and palladium mine is back in operation, with its staff cut in half...
• "No small mining operation can afford this..."
• "The small arrastra still lives... "
• "...an effective defense against Green political efforts to lock the public off public lands."
… I recently had the opportunity to sit down with Brent Weaver, Garrett’s chief design engineer to talk about gold-oriented detectors, how they work and how prospectors can get the most out of them.
• To pollute or not to pollute, is that the question?
• Feeling a little low on energy this summer…
• The comical side of politics
• Two birds with one windmill…
Excerpts from California Mining Journal, our original title, published 50 years ago this month.
U.S. Forest Service officials are drawing criticism from environmentalists for reopening some back-country roads that had been closed to protect threatened grizzly bears.
• GAO opinion contradicts Norton-Leavitt road deal
• Cubin wages battle over public lands decisions
• Washington State rivers are open, work continues
• Recent FWS habitat, endangered or threatened proposals
Most prospectors learn early that pyrite is fool's gold...but the truth is it can be an excellent indicator mineral for gold and in many cases does contain small amounts of gold.
The Bawl Mill • A Word From the Editor • Reading A River: Finding The Paystreaks—Part II • Placer Gold in the Ortiz Mountains • Miners Discuss Struggles at NWMA • Ask The Experts—Where to Take Sulfide Ore for Processing • Ask The Experts—Where Would The Most Gold Tend To Be In This Deposit? • East Coast Dredger Heads West - Part I • Growing Pains of the Learning Curve • Elko County Has Highest State Median Income • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices • Pebble Deposit Reveals Mineral Potential