Small Miner Beats Forest Service in Court
January 2013 by Scott HarnThomas Tierney has been a long-time subscriber to ICMJ’s Prospecting and Mining Journal and has read about the many battles between miners and overzealous regulators. Then he faced his own battle.
Retired geologist Dave Taylor of Farmington, New Mexico, predicted the disaster in a letter published by the Silverton Standard a week before it occurred.
• California dredging update
• Favorable bills in Congress
Gold and jade are actually only minor mineral resources for the Northwestern Alaska region as a whole. Modern prospecting has focused more on base metal than precious metal resources.
• Comment deadlines approaching for frog listings and habitat
• EPA seeks more control
• Comments due in Washington
• California dredging moratorium
• PLF sues to delist polar bear
• Refunds coming to Nevada claimholders
• More wilderness proposed
• Forest Service planning rule
• Hike in mining claim fees
• Hearing on suction gold dredging in California
• Interior wants mining reform
The Bawl Mill • From the Editor • Ask the Experts • Iron Minerals, Your Detector and Gold • The Robinson Mine—Big Things Happen Here • Forty-Six Nuggets • Customizing Your Dredge • Using Vegetation and Soil Conditions as Prospecting Aids • Prospecting for Diamonds • Green Valley Reconnaissance • Gold Pour Signals Revival in the Mother Lode • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices