Placer & Lode Gold Deposits
October 2001 by W. Dan HauselEven though there are many varieties of gold deposits, prospectors often refer to two general types: placer and lode. Some lode examples include...
Part of the good thing about this spot is that it is not that far from my home in the famous Virginia City mining district. Not everyone knows this, but the first discoveries around that area were gold placers.
Excerpts from California Mining Journal, our original title, published 50 years ago this month.
The Keystone district includes a group of mineralized shear zones and veins that are associated with the Keystone Quartz Diorite in the Medicine Bow Mountains of southwestern Wyoming. Gold production from this district is unknown, although some estimates suggest that 7,500 to more than 12,000 ounces were produced.
The Legislative Update and Company Notes columns were pulled this issue to make room for this important, breaking news.
• Rock Creek mine approved again: environmentalists file another lawsuit
• Great Basin Mine Watch losing appeal
• Roadless Rule declared illegal again by Federal Court
• Off-highway vehicle restrictions in North and South Dakota and Montana
• Comments needed for new off-road emission and fuel standards
• California administration moves to block mining; governor faces recall
• A few pending bills...
- NEPA comments due
- Update on latest US Supreme Court suction gold dredging appeal
- Washington State tries to restrict suction gold dredging
• Home, home on the range...where the deer and the non-native antelope play
• Today's math lesson: Study x 3 = Taxpayer Waste
The Bawl Mill • Our Readers Say: • Spanish Silver in Arizona • Hog Mountain Mining, Past and Future • Picks & Pans: Dredging Costa Rica • Gold in Texas • The Goldhill Mining District • New Arsenic Study Supports Tougher Standards • Miners Resume Search for Platinum Near Platinum • Discoloring Assay Beads • Tons of Gold Buried Under World Trade Center • Gold Rush Ship Uncovered in San Francisco • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices • Melman on Gold & Silver • The Financial Repercussions of the WTC Tragedy • Permit Appears Likely for Rock Creek Mine