Picks & Pans—In Search of Nome Creek Gold
October 2000 by Ron WendtMy father recalled fondly his early years of flying his Super Cub into the Preacher Creek watershed in search of game and gold, landing on wind blown ridges traversed by the giant Porcupine caribou herd that frequented the area.
The solution focused on the relative difference in malleability between gold and waste, rather than the difference in density exploited by gravity circuits.
California and Alaska have their reputation for gold mining wealth but they just don’t begin to compare with the huge wealth of gold and platinum found in the past and today in Colombia, Panama and Ecuador in western South America.
For simplicity, I will assume that you wish to make enough profit so that you can comfortably pay your bills using just the profits from the mine.
• Lukewarm consensus among scientists regarding global warming
• Yet another example of why big government is NOT the answer...
• Everyone deserves a second chance...
Light-colored volcanic tuff or tuffaceous sandstone often contains small amounts of uranium, enough to be detected with a sensitive radiation detector. Sometimes, the mass effect of the radiation is substantial.
• Rock Creek mine approved again: environmentalists file another lawsuit
• Great Basin Mine Watch losing appeal
• Roadless Rule declared illegal again by Federal Court
• Off-highway vehicle restrictions in North and South Dakota and Montana
• Comments needed for new off-road emission and fuel standards
• California administration moves to block mining; governor faces recall
• A few pending bills...
Australians have told me that emus, being very curious, will pick up and swallow anything shiny or unusual. They say aborigines will kick and pick apart any emu poop they see to check them out for nuggets.
The Bawl Mill • A Word from the Editor • Under the Guise of Environmental Protection—EPA Revealed • The Centennial Lode and the Centennial Ridge District, Wyoming • Company Notes • Massive Sulfide Deposits in Oregon • Recreational Dredging on the South Yuba River • The Trapiches of Chile • Tales of Liberty Gold • Drywashing Alluvial Placers • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices