Picks & Pans: Diamond Hunting in Wyoming
January 2002 by Rich MaloneRod Griffin and I have spent most of our free time looking for the hard-to-find diamonds, and have found ourselves involved with wildlife, obstacles, bad roads, streams, bogs, bulls—you name it.
The area was mined intermittently from around 1900 to 1915, but was also mined in the late 1800s, with a total output valued at about $100,000, which is around $9.5 million at the current gold price.
• Thieves bag a golden frog in museum heist...or do they?
• Aquarium workers ate protected sea turtle...
• Woman entitled to sue over being called "Monica Lewinsky"
• An Affair to Remember...
Asarco Inc. accepted a sweetened buyout offer from Phelps Dodge Corp., setting up a three-way, $2.9 billion deal that will make Phelps Dodge the world's largest copper producer.
Some calls from subscribers and advertisers over the past few months have prompted us to remind both buyers and sellers to be wary of fraudulent activity in the prospecting and mining industry.
After getting all the gear together we headed up the old road that led us to an old ground sluice site. George and Kaleb were using lightweight VLF (very low frequency) detectors. I carried a newer technology unit that is just a tad coil-heavy in the front.
• Celebrities take over hearing, and at least one senator is fed up
• Ruling Upholds EPA's authority to address Garcia River, other waterways polluted by runoff
• US Supreme Court: Sokaogon Chippewa can set water standard
• 1872 Mining Law under attack
• Waiting for a decision about 43CFR 3809
The Bawl Mill • Our Readers Say • NMFS Official Admits Bogus ESA Analyses • Glacial Gold in Ohio • Administration Officials Pledge to Work Closely With Miners • The Fort Knox Mine—1,200 Ounces a Day • Aussie Gold—A Look at New South Wales • The Green Land-Grabbers: It's Not Just the Feds Who Are After Your Land • ICMJ's 11th Annual Photo Contest Results • A Rich Gold Strike at Scossa • Company Notes • 3809 Drawing Winners • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices