Pick Up Austria's New Coin—If You Can Lift It
November 2004 by Verena DobnikThe Austrian Mint recently unveiled its new coin—a 68-pound, 24-carat gleaming gold disc worth about $500,000—touting it as the world’s largest and a powerful investment tool.
It is a fact that many of the well-known placer districts of the Western US have small veins that contain sparse pockets of coarse gold as their source. This is the main reason why many rich placer districts have seen little or no hard rock mining...
• NEPA improvements coming?
• Speaking of the Forest Service...
• Murkowski proposes tax increase on miners
• Kensington impact statement affirmed
• Rock Creek on hold, for now
• ESA reform update
• Desert Mineral Mining; one down, two to go for permits
• Montana smells a RAT
Most of the world's ore deposits have been found by prospectors, not by geologists nor mining engineers. This article has been prepared with this fact in mind.
• Rock Creek mine approved again: environmentalists file another lawsuit
• Great Basin Mine Watch losing appeal
• Roadless Rule declared illegal again by Federal Court
• Off-highway vehicle restrictions in North and South Dakota and Montana
• Comments needed for new off-road emission and fuel standards
• California administration moves to block mining; governor faces recall
• A few pending bills...
Is there any hope for a solution? Yes, there is, and we’ve been working with Public Lands for the People, the Minerals and Mining Advisory Council, attorney James Buchal and others on that solution.
The Bawl Mill • Editorial: Montana's Controversial Rock Creek Mine • First Load of Concentrate Leaves Reopened Ruth Mine • Uranium Industry Enjoys Rebound as Prices Nearly Triple • BLM Warning About Purchase of Mining Claims on the Internet • Determining the Amount of Gold in a Quartz Specimen • Placer PGMs in Coon Creek, California • Getting Your Float Circuit Layout Right • New Prospecting Guides Available Online • Police Extend Detention of Newmont Executives • Picks & Pans—Drywashing and Detecting in Southern California • Over The Divide—Merwin (Merv) H. Hemp • The Boludo Placers, Sonora • The Golden Highway—Placer County • Northwest Miners Rally a Success • Mine Threat Just a Stunt to Criticize Land Laws • MINExpo 2004 Convention Report • Looking Back • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices