Melman on Gold & Silver
February 2007 by Leonard MelmanAmerica has lost another ex-president with the passing last month of Gerald Ford, the only non-elected president in history. It is worth remembering, however, that he came into the office under incredibly difficult circumstances and acquitted himself well. He will be fondly remembered.
Celebrating California's Golden Sesquicentennial & A Century of Mining
What a month! It seemed as if one headline after another dwelled on one, and only one subject, that of the environmentalists’ concern over “global warming.” Politicians changed directions, mass demonstrations were held, Al Gore moved to the top of the media hit parade, and lawmakers were warming up to the task of revolutionizing our lives with torrents of new laws, regulations and policies.
• Karuk Tribe at it again
• Republicans drop mining provision from budget bill
• Idaho miners agree to stricter bonding requirements
• Comments needed for Oregon turbidity review
• Inter-department letter, Forest Supervisor to Regional Forester seeks assistance in segregating a significant area of the San Bernardino National Forest from mineral entry.
• Conservation and Reinvestment Act (CARA) stopped in Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee
• Forest Service meetings on Roadless Initiative have ended and the comment period closed December 20, but we have been advised that the public will have another opportunity for input.
• On November 8, the BLM held a hearing in Placerville, California, regarding withdrawal of 3,368.85 acres of public land along the South Fork of the American River.
On October 19, 2015, the Waldo and Galice Mining Districts (of SW Oregon), along with several Oregon mining organizations and individuals, filed a Complaint in the United States District Court in Medford…
Colorado is one of the more productive states when it comes to gold, ranking third, behind Nevada and California. The majority of the gold deposits are confined to a northeast-trending belt known as the Colorado Mineral Belt...
The Bawl Mill • Prospectors Beat Mining Claim Tax • In Pursuit of Gold and Silver in the Sierra Madres—Establishing a Mining Company in Mexico • Update On “Special Rock” Kicking • Michigan DEQ Gives Tentative OK to Nickel, Copper Mine • Saved Before the Tax Bell Tolled • The Petersville—Yentna Goldfields • Demand for Copper Boosts Zambian Mining • Doc Livingston • Bum Luck • San Manuel Mine Officially Closes With a Bang • Environmentalists Target Pebble Mine • Detecting in Australia's Pilbara Region • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices • Looking Back