Legislative and Regulatory Update
October 2017 by Scott Harn
- Budd-Falen in line to become next director at BLM
- Ten national monuments slated for changes or reductions
- California adds another fee
- Reminder: Annual claim fees due September 1, 2017
- Update on California suction gold dredging
Have you ever wondered what it is going to take to stop the insanity of politicians and environmental groups from taking away our rights?
• California suction dredging regulations
• Draft Coho recovery plan for Southern Oregon, Northern California
• Some positives in spending bill
• Judge puts brakes on the EPA in Alaska
• Judge to rule in favor of suction gold dredgers
In May 2017, the district participated in a meeting with representatives from several state and federal agencies where they educated agency officials about the authority of Mining Districts, Mining Law and miner’s rights.
One caller wondered why he should be required to join MMAC, asked why MMAC was not a non-profit, and compared it to some kind of extortion attempt. If he had questions like these, I assume there are others with similar questions and I will address them here.
• Comment deadlines approaching for frog listings and habitat
• EPA seeks more control
• Comments due in Washington
• California dredging moratorium
• PLF sues to delist polar bear
The Bawl Mill • Ask The Experts - Where should I get my geology degree? • Ask The Experts - How much rock shall I crush to determine the value? • Placers Directly Associated with Lode Deposits • Is It Time for a Change? New Ways to Find More Gold • MMAC Update • Silverton's Gold • Procuring Mine Owner Permission at a Mine Site • Champions Crowned at the California State Gold Panning Championships • Drywashing for Fine Gold • ICMJ Gold Prospecting and Mining Summit Postponed • Kennecott Copper Mine, Kennecott, Alaska • High Prices for Gold, Silver & Copper: What Does it Mean for Prospectors? • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices