History of Mining—Bradshaw Mountains, AZ (Part I)
November 2000 by Frank Lorey IIIThe Bradshaw Mountains, southeast of the old territorial capital city of Prescott, contain traces of many old mines and the railroads that were built to serve them.
Geologists have long realized that the vast majority of gold in typical quartz veins is in the tiny, dust-size range, a lot smaller than the gold nuggets found by placer miners. This is common worldwide in many, many gold districts.
This ruling comes at an opportune time, just as suction dredge miners are dealing with new proposed regulations in several western states. Be sure to cite this case when you provide comments on the regulations!
• Inter-department letter, Forest Supervisor to Regional Forester seeks assistance in segregating a significant area of the San Bernardino National Forest from mineral entry.
• Conservation and Reinvestment Act (CARA) stopped in Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee
• Forest Service meetings on Roadless Initiative have ended and the comment period closed December 20, but we have been advised that the public will have another opportunity for input.
• On November 8, the BLM held a hearing in Placerville, California, regarding withdrawal of 3,368.85 acres of public land along the South Fork of the American River.
This is just the type of specimen that could have been easily ignored by the old-time miners. It felt a little heavier in my hand than a chunk of quartz of that size ought to have been.
How does one determine who owns a mining claim?
NOI or POO for small backhoe
• “...a great article that answers many of my questions...”
• “I really appreciated reading the article about the Forty Mile operation...”
The Bawl Mill • Our Readers Say • Enrichment of Gold Veins • The Assay of High Iron Gold Ores • The Patch • Picks & Pans—The Green Rock, Rattlesnakes, Good Gold and Ruth's Mine • The Oretron • Silver Hill, North Carolina • Residual, Lateritic and Gossan "Soils" as Potential Nuggetshooting Sites • Hardrock in Downieville • Looking Back • Company Notes • Gold in Northern Baja California • California State Gold Panning Championship Results • Melman on Gold & Silver • V.P. Contender Addresses Mining Show