From the Editor
May 2003 by Scott HarnAn article entitled “BLM Swindles War Hero Out of Gold Mine,” authored by Robert Boatman, appeared in our September 2002 issue. The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) was unable to provide comment on the article at the time.
• Comment deadlines approaching for frog listings and habitat
• EPA seeks more control
• Comments due in Washington
• California dredging moratorium
• PLF sues to delist polar bear
Because of multiple take-out points along a ditch line, the ditches themselves become a wealth of knowledge to us present-day miners.
from H. Mason Coggin, PE & LS
Ore testing and other advice for starting up a mining operation.
• It's almost November
• Two federal land managers found guilty of contempt
• A chance to halt additional wilderness in Southern California
• Oregon mineral withdrawal
• A really good reason to get out and vote in Oregon
Gold was mined in the Council Region several years before it was known at Nome, and from this vicinity the prospectors set out and made the Nome placers familiar to the world.
• Anti-dredging bill SB 637 passes
The Ball Mill • Our Readers Say • WMD Raffle Raises Funds for Lawsuit • Gold in Alabama • Yukon Placer Miners Fighting Extreme Discharge Limits • Picks & Pans: Red Beryl Mining—Beaver County, Utah • The Investigation • A Gold Detector Sitting in a Closet Only Finds Dust—A Potpourri of Detector Tips • Central Coast Ranges • Poll: Montana in Favor of Repealing Anti-Mining Initiative • Platinum in Laccoliths • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices • Looking Back • Melman on Gold & Silver