Basic Information About Gold Detectors
July 2001 by Jim StraightFor those who rarely nuggetshoot, or are thinking about doing a little occasional nugget hunting, to buy a specialized gold detector may not be financially practical. Fortunately, a coin shooter with do-all capabilities, while it may not be as sensitive to sub-grain flakes, is satisfactory for many nugget hunting situations, especially if a smaller accessory coil is used.
A better understanding of hard rock mining methods and knowing a little about how these mines work can help the individual prospector to understand reports and stories about both modern and historic mine operations.
• Inter-department letter, Forest Supervisor to Regional Forester seeks assistance in segregating a significant area of the San Bernardino National Forest from mineral entry.
• Conservation and Reinvestment Act (CARA) stopped in Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee
• Forest Service meetings on Roadless Initiative have ended and the comment period closed December 20, but we have been advised that the public will have another opportunity for input.
• On November 8, the BLM held a hearing in Placerville, California, regarding withdrawal of 3,368.85 acres of public land along the South Fork of the American River.
• Snake fence upsets environmentalists...
• Job appointments based on credentials, not connections, says the governor...
• Idaho miners will challenge new EPA permit at rally
• California proposes to amend definition of a suction dredge
• Proposed rule redefines "navigable waters"
• Whose interests are they really representing?
• Saved by creative math
The Bawl Mill • Our Readers Say • Global Warming—The Press Gets it Wrong, Our Report Doesn't Support the Kyoto Treaty • Former Sunshine Miners Find Work in Montana • CMA Conference Summary • Uranium Deposits • Washington Gold & Fish Update • Prospecting for Diamonds: Is It a Diamond or Crystal Quartz? • Oil Seeps in Northern California • Diamond Dealer Prevails in Congo • Company Notes • Picks & Pans: The Gold Bullion Mine • Arizona's Border Silver Camps • The Stonewall Jackson Mine, San Diego County, California • Proposal Submitted for Lab at Homestake • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices • Melman on Gold & Silver