The Rand of South Africa
February 2002 by Edgar B. Heylmun, PhDThe republic of South Africa (pop. 45 million) lies at the southern end of the African continent, and has been responsible for much of the world’s gold and diamond production. The first Europeans to settle in the region were Dutch, but the British...
Q: Does anyone know of an electrowinning instrument that will plate (heavy plate) rhodium and iridium? I have both in solution. (Solution content = 262.9 oz/ton of iridium; 14.9 oz/ton rhodium.)
If I have precious metals in solution in bulk, say 620 to 1,000 gallons, is there a facility to extract the precious metals out? If so, can each be isolated?
• "I would like to be included..."
• "No claim in the world can be economically exploited without mechanical means."
• Can I get advice on a hard rock property in Calaveras County, California?
Gov. Bill Owens announced to members of the mining industry that he would consider a proposal that provides significant tax reductions for mining companies.
Elections in the Republic of Congo may bring a mining boom to a country that has been ravaged by wars and corruption.
• Pacific Legal Foundation files suit to de-list Klamath salmon
• Draft EIS on Suction Dredging in the Siskiyou National Forest
• More Siskiyou National Forest news
• District Court rules in favor of Nicolet Minerals
• State Supreme Court backs mining company
Having spent 33 years prospecting off and on in this area, this writer has become very familiar with the region, its mines, the gold (hardrock and placer), wildlife, weather, topography, and history—it has been a friend to me.
The Bawl Mill • Federal and State Biologists Accused of Planting Evidence • Placer Gold in New Mexico • Mining Deaths Drop to New Low in 2001 • Prospecting for Meteorites with a Metal Detector • Aussie Gold—A Look at Victoria • Picks & Pans: Arizona Desert Drywashing Adventure • 2001 World Gold Panning Championships • Throw-Away Gold: Back to Basics • Placer Gold Near Fairbanks, Alaska • The "Drumstick" • Company Notes • Editorial • Looking Back • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices