Placer Gold in Utah
November 2001 by Edgar B. Heylmun, PhDUtah is not known for gold, but a significant amount has been produced. Over 12 million ounces of lode and placer gold have been produced from Bingham Canyon alone. However, placer production, per se, has been miniscule compared to other western states, although a lot of dry placers may remain undiscovered.
U.S. Representative Ron Paul, a Republican from Texas, introduced legislation designed to curb the ability of the president and the treasury secretary to manipulate gold prices.
• Norton treasures environment but environmentalists worry
• From the National Forest Service
• Suit Filed Against Roadless Initiative
• New EPA rules restrict ombudsman
• Forest Service Sierra Nevada plan is even opposed by Feinstein
PLF scores another win for property rights
• Insecurity issues?
• Seven experts...and a little bit of editing
• November can’t get here soon enough
In 1977, I was a young, inexperienced geologist hired to evaluate Wyoming’s diamond resources in the Colorado-Wyoming State Line district, and investigate and map all other mineral commodities in the state with the exception of oil, gas...
• USFS cost recovery
• Measure 37 affirmed
• Court declines to hear Canyon Resources claim
• Kempthorne nominated to head Interior
Excerpts from California Mining Journal, our original title, published 50 years ago this month.
The Bawl Mill • Our Readers Say • From the Editor • Guest Editorial—Exploiting Tragedy • President Bush: Put ANWR Drilling in Energy Bill • Aussie Gold • Picks & Pans: Working the Ol' Paystreak • High Country Dredging in Kaufman Creek, Colorado • How to Become a More Successful Nugget Detectorist—And Basic Information on Machines • Altar District's Golden Lure • The Manson Mine • California State Gold Panning Championship Results • Gold in Panama • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices