Picks & Pans: Prospecting for Lode Gold
October 1999 by Edgar B. Heylmun, PhDMost of the world's ore deposits have been found by prospectors, not by geologists nor mining engineers. This article has been prepared with this fact in mind.
Ground sluicing, surfacing and scratching are a few names given to the recovery of gold in shallow areas. Where I live, the hills are dotted with small surface diggings.
• More power to ya, Gov. Davis
• New Mayor flashes, I mean, clashes with local law enforcement
• Our tax money at work
• Stupid policies in action
• Does a Cipro prescription come with that house?
• EPA declares carbon dioxide a threat to environment
• Suction dredging update for California
• California Fish & Game director resigns
• More Merced River restrictions
The Bawl Mill • Our Readers Say • The Economy, The Environment and Equity • Carrizozo Lava Older Than Once Thought • Montana Mining Association Raising Cash • GATA Releases Open Letter to the Press • WANTED: Mining Poets, Singers & Storytellers • BLM Proposed Rule Making Affects Mining Claims • Company Notes • Mining Battle Case Under Advisement • Sutro Tunnel a Big Draw • The Search for Specimen (Pocket) Gold in the California Mother Lode • Gemstones • Dry Lakes in Nevada • A Hairsbreadth from Death • Special Suction Dredge Permits in Jeopardy • Cartwrights Celebrate 40 Years in Nevada • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices • Looking Back