Melman on Gold & Silver
September 2010 by Leonard MelmanFrom the mining community’s point of view, it is important to stop the parade of complex laws and regulations that continue to interfere with huge segments of the economy. This gives the upcoming election even greater importance directly relating to our precious and base metals mining industries.
In March 2004, Vulcan, a mine exploring robot from the Discovery Miner Program, was shipped to the Vulture City region to investigate the conditions of an abandoned hard rock mine. The shaft was typical of the dangerous mines that are...
After picking up a large grey rock, ready to discard it, I immediately noted it was extremely heavy. My eyes started getting bigger and bigger as I wiped off the surface dirt and moistened it—the color yellow started showing.
"Little Boys who pick up rocks either go to prison or become geologists."
• Look for less federal government land acquisitions in the new budget
• Valley fill ruling overturned
• Two species rejected for listing under ESA
• New Mexico and Montana consider legislation to encourage mining
• Mining, lumber groups seek to eliminate funds for university program
• Backfilling required for new mines in California
• Nevada Congressman named vice chairman of Resources
• Idaho gets deadline extended for bull trout comments
• Murkowski Calls for Resource Assessment on State and Federal Lands
• Comments needed regarding proposal to lock up huge tracts of public land in California
Outside of Butte, Montana, going north on I90, you’ll pass through a landscape where the old Anaconda mining company processed thousands of tons of ore twenty years ago. We meant to fish in the vicinity of this historic mining district though we knew it is a Federally classified Superfund site for reclamation now.
Can a metal detector be used to find limonitic gossan material?
Legislative and Regulatory Update • Hardrock Mining Accidents Claim Four Lives • Prospecting Old Tertiary Channels • The Jenkins Mine Project Pt II: Terrain and Map Study • Search Called Off for Missing Treasure Hunters • Glacial Gold in the Midwest • Hardrock Prospecting in El Dorado County, California • Gold & Silver of the Comstock Lode • Forest Service Pays Miners $245K for Unlawful Destruction of Mine