Melman on Gold & Silver
April 2009 by Leonard MelmanOnce again, economic trauma was the dominant theme of most news releases last month. It seemed we were learning about an endless array of companies in dire trouble, including many who had either filed or were on the verge of bankruptcy...
The Patagonia Mountains are a small but rugged mountain range that adjoins the Mexican border some 9 to 16 miles east of the border town of Nogales. The range trends northerly for 14 miles and is about 10 miles wide, reaching an elevation...
My girlfriend Beth and I decided to take our canoe down the Yukon and do some gold dredging...
• Look for less federal government land acquisitions in the new budget
• Valley fill ruling overturned
• Two species rejected for listing under ESA
• New Mexico and Montana consider legislation to encourage mining
• Mining, lumber groups seek to eliminate funds for university program
• Backfilling required for new mines in California
• Nevada Congressman named vice chairman of Resources
• Idaho gets deadline extended for bull trout comments
• Murkowski Calls for Resource Assessment on State and Federal Lands
• Comments needed regarding proposal to lock up huge tracts of public land in California
Its Been An Interesting Month For Metals
In June 1997, a story I wrote was printed in the Journal titled, “His Name Was John.” Occasionally Grandfather John jotted down notes about his life in America and in the mines. He planned to give these mementos to his sons. The only time he wrote home was to let his wife know when he was booking a trip back to Italy. He sent whatever money he could from his pay in the Argonaut and Kennedy mines in Jackson, California. Mailing letters was expensive, as was everything else.
For this article, I am focusing on industrial production plants that can handle 10 cubic yards per hour or more and would be fed by a loader or other heavy equipment...
The Bawl Mill • From The Editor • Detecting Invisible Gold • Finding Diamond Deposits With Your PC—Part I • Has Senator Harry Reid Worn Out His Welcome? • The Most Obvious Place • The Gold of Yuba County • PDAC 2009 Convention Highlights • Stimulus Package Provides Potential Tax Savings For Miners • Mining Stock Quotes, Mineral & Metal Prices