Picks & Pans: Tips for Nuggestshooting—How to Increase Your Gold Finds (Part I)
April 2000 by Chris GholsonFrom a prospector's standpoint, the metal detector may be one of the most significant breakthroughs of the twentieth century. It is believed that the first metal detector was discovered accidentally in 1925 when a radio engineer...
• More roadblocks in southern California
• Greater Sage-grouse withdrawals
What a start to the year! In just the first two weeks of 2008, we saw the price of gold explode to the highest levels in history at $900 per ounce, Crude Oil reach $100 per barrel, some of the world’s largest financial institutions collapse in market value, unrest spread in Pakistan following the assassination of Benazir Bhutto, the worst jobs report from the Department of Labor in at least two years and the continued erosion of residential real estate values.
Q: I have a high grade silver-copper vein. In my area of NE Washington, hundreds of these veins were mined and shipped ore years ago. The vein is not a problem to mine, the problem is whom do I sell the sulfide ore to these days?...
• Cap and trade
• Roadless rule
• WDFW backs down thanks to miners
• California dredge permits
• BLM faces lawsuit over access in Washington State
• Look for less federal government land acquisitions in the new budget
• Valley fill ruling overturned
• Two species rejected for listing under ESA
• New Mexico and Montana consider legislation to encourage mining
• Mining, lumber groups seek to eliminate funds for university program
• Backfilling required for new mines in California
• Nevada Congressman named vice chairman of Resources
• Idaho gets deadline extended for bull trout comments
• Murkowski Calls for Resource Assessment on State and Federal Lands
• Comments needed regarding proposal to lock up huge tracts of public land in California
The Bawl Mill • USFS Chief in Nevada • Uranium Miners May Be Compensated • Dairy Farmer Hits Pay Dirt • Canyon Resources in Battle in Montana • Guest Editorial—President's Land Plan Implements Unratified Treaty • Gold in Washington • Alaska Mining Industry Sees 5% Growth in 1999 • El Paso Mountains Mining History • Platinum Prices Could Spur Wyoming Rush • The Wooden Cross • Mining Hall of Fame Seeks Rhymes of the Mines • Collecting Garnets in Wyoming • A Trip to Tucson 2000 • McCaw School of MInes Dedicates Phase II • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices