Melman on Gold & Silver
June 2008 by Leonard MelmanIt is my belief that these trends toward rising budgetary and trade deficits, escalating monetary creation and interest rates that are being held at artificially low levels will continue and I believe that further US Dollar weakness has now been built into the system.
On July 9, 2004, Under Secretary of the Department of Agriculture, Mark Rey, published the “Interim Rule.” By its own terms, the Interim Rule became effective on August 9, 2004, without regard to public comments. Public comments were, however, received until September 7, 2004.
• Look for less federal government land acquisitions in the new budget
• Valley fill ruling overturned
• Two species rejected for listing under ESA
• New Mexico and Montana consider legislation to encourage mining
• Mining, lumber groups seek to eliminate funds for university program
• Backfilling required for new mines in California
• Nevada Congressman named vice chairman of Resources
• Idaho gets deadline extended for bull trout comments
• Murkowski Calls for Resource Assessment on State and Federal Lands
• Comments needed regarding proposal to lock up huge tracts of public land in California
If you are interested in researching mining claims for any purpose, you will first have to decipher the BLM’s LR2000, a Rube Goldberg database seemingly designed by a 1980s Soviet-era computer hacker.
• Comment period reopened for pygmy owl critical habitat in Arizona
• Limits on wilderness study areas finalized in Utah
• IBLA rules miner cannot set up store processing equipment on claim when no mining is taking place
• New law to protect claims and equipment in Washington State
• House members "earn" another raise
• Not the sharpest knife in the drawer...I mean...clerk in the store
• That's 8.49 million first-class postage stamps
Once again international terrorism became the focus of much of the world as the British Isles were swept by two major stories. First, two vehicles were found with high explosives in London and it was only the smoldering fuses that gave away the contents of the vehicles before they exploded.
The Bawl Mill • Our Readers Say • Platinum Alley—The South American Zone of Wealth and Adventure • Choosing The Right Detector Coil • Washington Gold Miners Receive Ecology Award • Internet Scams • Becoming A Nozzle Master • Slug Gulch • Gold Deposits of Georgia • Mining the Old-Timers • Prospecting Adventures—Pure Gold • Legislation Would Require Palladium Coin • Record Gold Prices Prompt Gold Mining In Boulder • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices • Looking Back