Legislative and Regulatory Update
February 2011 by Scott Harn• Backdoor Wild Lands order
• PLP reports on latest dredge lawsuit
• Massive lands bill avoided
• No cap and trade for now
• RS-2477 rights affirmed
• Big win by a California suction gold dredger
• Administration locks up another popular gold mining area
• BLM creates de facto wilderness without Congressional approval
- Some mining claim fees increase
- Oregon miners file appeal
- US Fish & Wildlife law enforcement policing powers restrained
• Show of support needed for anti-EPA bills
• Arizona mining data now online
• California suction dredge hearings
• Update on Forest Service abuse in Washington
• US Supreme Court may consider requirements for Notitce of Intent
• Oregon considering mining restrictions
• Latest developments in California suction dredging moratorium
• Spotted owl habitat
Hennis claims that months later and without his permission, the EPA built a $2.3 million water treatment facility on the property and the agency continues treating water and storing waste there.
Federal and state regulatory agencies often cite mercury and methyl mercury in our waterways as a major factor for further restrictions on placer mining, and on suction gold dredge mining, in particular. However, these regulatory agencies are minimizing selenium and its neutralizing effects.
…I’ll be heading back to Washington, DC, on June 4 with Clark Pearson of PLP for nearly a week of meetings with the Mine Safety and Health Administration, US Forest Service, Environmental Protection Agency, and numerous members of Congress in both the House and Senate.
The Bawl Mill • Our Readers Say • The Basics of Crushing and Milling Operations • Ask The Experts—What minerals are magnetic? Can rare earth magnets capture platinum? • Ask The Experts—Jet nozzle or suction nozzle? Which is best for my highbanker? • Ask The Experts—Precious metals in water? • Rediscovering Placerville, California • Eastern Arizona: Gold and Base Metal Deposits—Part I • Over The Divide—Daryl J. Nelson • Cyanide-Free Gold Separation • Mining Stock Quotes & Mineral and Metal Prices • Melman on Gold & Silver