Legislative and Regulatory Update
January 2011 by Scott Harn• California suction dredgers had better prepare for battle
The $800 million project will provide 300 jobs during production. It will be the only US mine where nickel is the primary targeted mineral, with about 360 million pounds to be extracted.
• Congress deals with other priorities
• Alaska miners get relief on state lands
- Administration issues proposals to fix mining access and permitting
- Online “webinar” and request for comments for proposed Forest Service NEPA revisions
I hope this case inspires some of you. It shows that miners can and do succeed when they are persistent and well-prepared, even when representing themselves against state and federal attorneys in a court of law.
Mexican Government Begins Mining Industry Overhaul
The ESA has become an unwieldy beast that was hijacked by government agencies run amok, and by extreme environmental groups who saw it as a way to lock up public lands and to generate income through exaggerated claims and continuous lawsuits.
• Environmental groups push for more ESA listings
• Proposed grant program to recruit mining engineering students
The Bawl Mill • Our Readers Say • Ask The Experts—Amalgamation • China Gold Imports Increased 500 Percent in 2010 • Tips for Effective Drywashing • The Downieville Gold District • Rattler's Gold • Successful Gold Prospecting • US Mint to Offer Other Precious Metal Coins • The Business of Mining: Unlimited Possibilities With LLCs • Silver Boom Prompts Idaho Mine Expansion • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes & Mineral and Metal Prices