Legislative and Regulatory Update
September 2018 by Scott Harn
• Forest Service to revisit 228 regulations
• WOTUS Executive Order suspended
• IBLA rules against miner for "late" filing
• Wyoming appeals roadless decision
• Mercury reduction program slated for California
• Oregon wilderness
• Oregon miner prevails in lawsuit against Forest Service and District Ranger
• Canada pulls out of Kyoto Climate Treaty
- Oregon miners to petition for US Supreme Court review
- Two executive orders to reign in federal agencies
- Petition for Joshua tree as a threatened species
We spent the morning in a meeting with one of the higher-ups at the US Forest Service. I presented him with 412 complaints received from our readers, along with a summary of the complaints to make his job easier.
• Congress deals with other priorities
• Alaska miners get relief on state lands
The settlement did not grant an immediate approval for the project, but it did begin to clear the way for the company to apply for federal permits—a path the Obama administration previously had thwarted.
On July 4, we are reminded of the sacrifices our Founding Fathers made to establish this great country of ours, and in that spirit, the Minerals and Mining Advisory Council (MMAC) has created a draft Declaration of Miners.And MMAC has been hard at work writing a bill, with the unwavering support of several members of Congress, to reaffirm the rights of miners operating in traditional mining districts.
• Critical minerals obtain national security status
• Idaho to take over EPA permitting
Ask The Experts - Why is there no detector signal with pyrite? • Ask The Experts - Need assaying advice • Ask The Experts - Can you tell me anything about the Cherry Creek District in Nevada? • Understanding Skim Bar Placers • Detecting Canyon Bedrock in The Sierras • Mining Journal Receives Honor • Gold Prospecting: For Better or Worse • New Research Tool for Miners in Wyoming • PLP Update • Have We Hit 'Peak Gold'? • Old Mine Sites and New Technology • What Happened to The Gold Prospecting and Mining Summit? • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices