Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices
January 2000 by Staff
• Small miners can join bonding pool in Alaska
• Comments needed for diesel particulate matter proposed rule
• Administration asks Supreme Court to review wilderness ruling
• Bush selects Utah Governor as next EPA chief
"I will go to America and reap my fortune, and when I come back to this God-forsaken town, people will treat me with respect and take their hats off to me even if you don't believe what I am saying." His wife lowered her head. She had heard all of this before...
It turns out the old Anaconda Co. really did have 10,000 miles of tunnels beneath this mining city. That’s one of the findings by researchers who have produced a new map that charts the thousands of underground mine shafts here, providing a detailed look at some of Butte’s mining history.
Mapping geology underground is not difficult if one knows the procedures. This article presents the procedures that will allow any miner to produce a geologic map of their workings.
The following article has been written with a two-fold purpose; first, to help familiarize anyone interested in “meteorite shooting,” and second, to stress the importance of scientific research.
Excerpts from California Mining Journal, our original title, published 50 years ago this month.
• The ESA used, and apparently abused, in Arizona and New Mexico
• In a somewhat related story...
• Among the numerous bills that died when Congress adjourned...
• More on the ESA
• Miners must present proof of filing, says IBLA
• Federal government backs mining project
• Appeals Court says Clinton roadless rule can stay
The Bawl Mill • Over the Divide • Our Readers Say • Letter from the Editor to our Readers and Advertisers • Administration Considers Bypassing Congress • First Woman to Draw Mining Pension • Small Mine Selective Blasting • Mohave Mountain Placers, Arizona • High Court to Reconsider Wilderness Water Rights • Sixteen to One Takes on MSHA • Picks & Pans: Gold Mining on Joie Osgood Ranch • Gold • Company Notes • Millie's Tailings • Placer PGMs in Alaska • Mogollon—New Mexico's Remote Gold Camp • ICMJ 9th Annual Photo Contest Results • The Other Minerals of Mt. Diablo • Melman on Gold & Silver • Looking Back