Melman on Gold & Silver
January 2001 by Leonard MelmanOne of the consequences of the weakening economy and the sharp declines in NASDAQ securities was a sudden weakening of the US Dollar (see chart of D-Mark). As investors began to pull their funds out of the US and return the funds to their native lands, this resulted in sales of the dollar, reducing it in value.
• Anti-dredging bill SB 637 passes
The high early spring runoff was in full force this late February 2004 day, lapping midway up the floodwall. As my good friend, and mining partner, Eric Johnson and I stood there watching the stream rush by behind his cabin, we wondered aloud what...
• Look for less federal government land acquisitions in the new budget
• Valley fill ruling overturned
• Two species rejected for listing under ESA
• New Mexico and Montana consider legislation to encourage mining
• Mining, lumber groups seek to eliminate funds for university program
• Backfilling required for new mines in California
• Nevada Congressman named vice chairman of Resources
• Idaho gets deadline extended for bull trout comments
• Murkowski Calls for Resource Assessment on State and Federal Lands
• Comments needed regarding proposal to lock up huge tracts of public land in California
• Small miners can join bonding pool in Alaska
• Comments needed for diesel particulate matter proposed rule
• Administration asks Supreme Court to review wilderness ruling
• Bush selects Utah Governor as next EPA chief
We panned out maybe three gold pans of the material and we were shocked at the gold that was there. This rock appeared to be rich.
It was "standing room only" as a crowd of approximately 50 interested miners attended a meeting hosted by the Powers Ranger District and Forest Service personnel from the Siskiyou National Forest.
I recently found myself wondering what would be the ultimate prospecting adventure. What would be the most amazing thing if I had no restrictions or limitations?
The Bawl Mill • Over the Divide • Our Readers Say • Special Editorial: Gold Anti-Trust Action Committee Believes They Have the Evidence • World Gold Council News • Metal Detecting Within the Cordillera for Gold Placers Associated With Tertiary Epithermal Ore Deposits • Picks & Pans: An Exciting Hobby • Prospecting for Silver With a Geiger Counter • The Furnace Atmosphere During the Fire Assay • The Hanging Tree • Gold in Chihuahua, Mexico • ICMJ 10th Annual Photo Contest Results • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices • Looking Back