Melman on Gold & Silver
January 2003 by Leonard MelmanWhen I was a college student, I remember participating in a huge religious rally and the theme song, sung by hundreds of participants, had this repeating line: “I ain’t-a going to study war no more...” Those days surely are gone as headline after headline now shouts out at us that we had indeed better study and prepare for war.
Maine forms the northeast corner of the United States, with an area of over 55,000 square miles. Its population is about 1.2 million, with the forested interior being largely unpopulated. The northeast end of the Appalachian Trail is at Mt. Katahdin, which...
• Norton treasures environment but environmentalists worry
• From the National Forest Service
• Suit Filed Against Roadless Initiative
• New EPA rules restrict ombudsman
• Forest Service Sierra Nevada plan is even opposed by Feinstein
• Some positives in spending bill
• Judge puts brakes on the EPA in Alaska
• Judge to rule in favor of suction gold dredgers
When I started dredging a short distance downstream from that feature I realized that I was into a major paystreak and much of the gold was coming right out of the upper gravel. I could see the chunky pieces falling out of the gravel as they were pulled into...
Pickering Bar on the North Fork of the American River is a fascinating place. It’s remote, taking almost two hours to get there from the small mining town of Iowa Hill, which is in Placer County, California.
• “...a great article that answers many of my questions...”
• “I really appreciated reading the article about the Forty Mile operation...”
The first pieces found were in a spot that most gold hunters would not even detect, right in the middle of a downslope meadow.
The Bawl Mill • The Old Dutch Cleanser Mine • The Ferris-Haggarty Copper-Gold Mine, Grand Encampment District, Wyoming • Directory of Active Mines in Arizona Available • Picks & Pans: Gold Prospecting on the East Fork River, Alaska • Beryllium in Nevada • Company Notes • The Cemetery Rush • Border Silver • Grandfather John's Notes • ICMJ's 12th Annual Photo Contest Results • Tiffany & Co. to Open Plant in Northern Canada • The Patio • Looking Back • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices