May 2001 by StaffExcerpts from CMJ, our original title, published 50 years ago this month.
• Inter-department letter, Forest Supervisor to Regional Forester seeks assistance in segregating a significant area of the San Bernardino National Forest from mineral entry.
• Conservation and Reinvestment Act (CARA) stopped in Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee
• Forest Service meetings on Roadless Initiative have ended and the comment period closed December 20, but we have been advised that the public will have another opportunity for input.
• On November 8, the BLM held a hearing in Placerville, California, regarding withdrawal of 3,368.85 acres of public land along the South Fork of the American River.
Guyana is a former British colony on the north coast of South America. The capital, Georgetown (pop. 250,000), is 2,200 miles southeast of Miami. The country is 83,000 square miles in area, depending on who does the counting.
According to local press reports, about ten armed thieves forced their way into a private freight dispatch yard near the port, subdued employees, and then took several hours to search for the shipping containers…
If there is one word which seems to describe the past month on so many fronts, it is the word "dysfunctional." The tone was set when "American Beauty" won the Academy Award for "Best Movie."
I get a lot of questions from prospectors about garnets, their value and what they tell us about the geology of some types of mineral deposits. So I thought it would be a good idea to take a closer look at the lowly garnet and learn a bit more about it.
• Critical minerals obtain national security status
• Idaho to take over EPA permitting
The Bawl Mill • Original Sixteen to One Goes to Court—Challenges MSHA Citations Part II • The Golden Triangle of Sonora, Mexico • Using Legal Subdivision • Placer vs. Lode Gold • Gold Tellurides: Tellurium, an Assay Impurity • Court Hears Arguments Over Rights to Shipwreck • Picks & Pans: How to Succeed in a Small Mine, A Case History: 1990-2000 • Charcoal Crucible Recipe • Discovery of the Mountain Pass REO Deposit • Romance of the Old Silver King • Record-Breaking Alaskan Nugget for Sale • Company Notes • Nevada Gold Production Up Despite Lower Prices • Gold in Guatemala • Bush Taps Utah Resident for Labor Post • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices • Honda Pares Down Use of Precious Metals in Autos