Ghost Towns of Washington County, Utah
October 2002 by Frank Lorey IIIAs people race by on Interstate 15 through the southwestern portion of Utah, they miss many relics of early silver mining and agricultural days hidden just off the freeway. Washington County had a rich mining and farming history dating back to Civil War times, and there are some that believe it still holds some hope for future mining.
Take a look at the picture—it’s pretty simple and you can build it yourself.
• DOI limits Wilderness
• Current California administration solidifies anti-mining stance
• Juneau welcomes miners
• Bill would restrict public land purchases
• Barrick wins suit against EPA reporting requirements
• Utah obtains rights-of-way on federal lands
This mine was a real wonder of engineering, and the water supply and drifts had to be carefully managed to keep it in operation. In fact, it didn’t close due to lack of gold, but instead closed with the fall of the Roman Empire.
Next, all of silver’s chart action since mid-2011 has taken place under a declining trend line (dotted line), which has held for more than four years. Any trendline of that duration must be taken seriously.
• More like “upsetting” than offsetting...
• So, when is our first shareholder meeting?
• Government kicks a gift horse in the mouth...
• Will the real Barack Obama please step forward...
Last month was one of the most unusual in recent memory. For virtually an entire month, the news media was focused almost entirely with death and dying.
• CA Fish & Game Final SEIR
• Positive news from California?
• Still no results in Wisconsin
• Give us back our lands
The Bawl Mill • Our Readers Say • Placer Gold in Idaho • Working the Belmont Mine Butte, Montana—1953 • Simple Sluice Design • Cobalt and Nickel in Missouri • Sunshine Mine Video Brings Back Painful Memories • Hardrock Detecting • Gold Garbage: Scams New & Old • Company Notes • Picks & Pans: Confessions of a Professional Nuggetshooter • Gondwana Gold and Diamonds • Looking Back • The Fire Within • 2002 California State Gold Panning Championships—Foresthill, California • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices • Melman on Gold & Silver