PLP Members Win Occupancy Case—Appeals Continue
July 2003 by Jerry HobbsPublic Lands for the People (PLP) members Ron Lex and his mining partner Ken Waggener of Etna, California, were cited for occupying their mining claim in Klamath National Forest for more than 14 days. The section cited was Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 261.10(b). This CFR states that a special use authorization must be obtained for occupying a claim on National Forest land for more than 14 days. In some forests the time is 30 days.
Steve and I decided to try our luck on the North Fork doing a little highbanking, or motor sluicing as the liberals would call it.
My wife Dorothy has always enjoyed tent camping. She thought she was really roughing it at established campgrounds until I convinced her to take a trip with me to drywash for gold in a remote corner of an arid desert wilderness...
The Weaverville War at the California Mines
• Employee takes 15-year vacation
• Congratulations! Nevermind...
- Public records advocate job was too good to be true...
- "Selfies" might make you happy, but this report won't...
• Inter-department letter, Forest Supervisor to Regional Forester seeks assistance in segregating a significant area of the San Bernardino National Forest from mineral entry.
• Conservation and Reinvestment Act (CARA) stopped in Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee
• Forest Service meetings on Roadless Initiative have ended and the comment period closed December 20, but we have been advised that the public will have another opportunity for input.
• On November 8, the BLM held a hearing in Placerville, California, regarding withdrawal of 3,368.85 acres of public land along the South Fork of the American River.
The Austrian Mint recently unveiled its new coin—a 68-pound, 24-carat gleaming gold disc worth about $500,000—touting it as the world’s largest and a powerful investment tool.
The Bawl Mill • Our Readers Say • Prospecting for Iron in Alaska • Gold Deposits in Skarn • Picks & Pans: Highbanking on the American River • Platinum Firm, Palladium to Remain Weak • Spencer Opal Deposits, Idaho • Company Notes • Hillside Placers • Elko Mining Expo a Success • Gold Prospecting in Alberta • National Mining Hall of Fame to Induct Six • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices • Melman on Gold & Silver • Looking Back