Picks & Pans: Nuggetshooting Around Cactus
December 2005 by Jim StraightI mostly nugget hunt within the Great Basin and Mojave desert areas of California and Nevada, and less frequently the Sonoran desert of Arizona. I have discovered the gamma grass, sagebrush and creosote areas of the Great Basin and Mojave are friendlier to nuggetshoot than the vegetation within the Sonoran desert.
Vertical aerial photographs, a form of remote sensing, are invaluable in the search for mineral deposits, and have been used for 60 years for that purpose.
• Comments needed from small-scale miners in Oregon
• News from the House and Senate
• Governor shows support for mining
We are in the planning stages for our next trip to DC. Clark and I are looking at returning after the mid-term elections, probably around the end of November or early December, to continue discussions with members of Congress…
On our fourth trip, we finally reached the top edge of the old hydraulic pit, and it was monstrous.
W. Dan Hausel, Senior Economic Geologist with the Wyoming State Geological Survey (WSGS), has been successful at finding new mineral deposits and occurrences.
The temptation to enter the dark interiors beckoned to me before the day was finished but I resisted.
• Look for less federal government land acquisitions in the new budget
• Valley fill ruling overturned
• Two species rejected for listing under ESA
• New Mexico and Montana consider legislation to encourage mining
• Mining, lumber groups seek to eliminate funds for university program
• Backfilling required for new mines in California
• Nevada Congressman named vice chairman of Resources
• Idaho gets deadline extended for bull trout comments
• Murkowski Calls for Resource Assessment on State and Federal Lands
• Comments needed regarding proposal to lock up huge tracts of public land in California
The Bawl Mill • Pombo Bill to Provide Some Relief for Miners • Gemstones in Wyoming—Part I • Gateway Gold and Jerritt Canyon • The Koyukuk-Nolan Goldfields • Miners Come Out On Top in SREP v. USFS • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices • Melman on Gold & Silver • Looking Back • Company Notes • Adding Shine to Your Portfolio • Tales of California Gold Discoveries 4th in a Series—Pay Attention When You Dig