Paleoplacers in the Black Hills
September 2002 by Edgar B. Heylmun, PhDThe Black Hills of western South Dakota are domal mountains that rise to 7,242 feet near Mt. Rushmore National Monument. Annual precipitation reaches 28 inches, enough to support winter sports and pine forests.
Quarry operators would face tighter state regulations under proposed legislation that moved a step closer to approval recently.
• Roadless Rule temporarily halted by U.S. District Judge
• Republican defection
• Congressmen fight for National Monument changes
• 3809 rollback decision expected soon
• Yucca Mountain: Done deal or "dead?"
• Miners battle for their rights in southern Oregon
• Pure Gold Minerals Inc.
• International Freegold Mineral Development Inc.
• Hope Bay Gold Corp. Inc.
All 28 groups listed agree that Section 402 of the Clean Water Act does not apply and no dredge miner should be asking a state or federal agency for such a permit.
• Newmont Mining Corp.
• Frontier Pacific Mining Corp.
• Sterling Mining Company
• General Atomics
• Barrick Gold Corp.
• New Jersey Mining Company
• Timberline Resources Corp.
The Bawl Mill • What's In A Name? • Our Readers Say • BLM Swindles War Hero Out of Gold Mine • The River Runs Through It • DEF Has Another Successful Year • Fellow Miner, Left for Dead, Needs Our Help • PGMs in California • Picks & Pans: The Professional Nuggetshooter • Company Notes • Gold in the First Pan • Looking Back • Cedros Island, Mexico • The Eagle and High Peak Mines of Julian, California • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices