Prospecting for Platinum in Wyoming
December 2000 by W. Dan HauselProspectors and rock hounds should consider searching for platinum-group metals, as these metals are the most precious of the precious metals. Several localities have been identified where these metals have been identified In anomalous amounts.
At the close of the 19th Century, optimism was high that Wyoming would become an important source for copper much like the neighbor states of Colorado, Utah, and Montana. This dream was short-lived...
Clearly, the single-most important reason for the latest decline in gold is the recently announced auctions by the British Central Bank. However, other news stories this past month also had negative implications for the yellow metal.
• Financial Guarantees (Bonding)
• National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
• Diesel engine exhaust
• Senator Daschle inadvertently helps timber industry
• USFWS implementing Wildlands Project without voter approval
A 1933 Double Eagle gold coin that never went into circulation—but triggered decades of intrigue—is being sold by the federal government at auction this summer. Experts predict it could sell for millions.
• The ESA used, and apparently abused, in Arizona and New Mexico
• In a somewhat related story...
• Among the numerous bills that died when Congress adjourned...
• More on the ESA
• Miners must present proof of filing, says IBLA
• Federal government backs mining project
• Appeals Court says Clinton roadless rule can stay
Excerpts from California Mining Journal, our original title, published 50 years ago this month.
The Bawl Mill • Letter to the Editor • Potaro District, Guyana • World Gold Council Launches $3 Million Ad Campaign • Prospecting With Color • Picks & Pans: More Big River Dredging in Northern California • Epithermal Ore Deposits Associated With Tertiary Volcanism—And the Feasibility of Metal Detecting for Them • A Changing Diamond Industry Looks to Canada for Growth • History of Mining—Bradshaw Mountains, AZ—Part II • Company Notes • Melman on Gold & Silver • Mining Stock Quotes and Mineral & Metal Prices